I know the feeling when you stumble upon a blog and want to explore it, but then you get bogged down, erratically clicking and skimming. It can be hard to hit the highlights. Therefore I created this tour of The Runner’s Trip. I hope you like it so much that you’ll click here to subscribe to receive new posts by email.
I’ve broken the navigation into a few main categories. Below are some favorite posts from each:
Race Reports and Training Advice
I love writing race reports to share my experience (though it usually makes my husband and kids say “TMI!”). Be forewarned I include nearly as many details about bodily functions as about the trail. I also blog about training advice. Here are a few of my favorite race stories and training posts:
- Four Phases to Structure Your Training Season for a Top-Goal Ultramarathon
- A Trail-Racing Triple Threat: The Inaugural Grand Circle Trail Fest Review
- Catching Up During and After the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run
- Lake Sonoma 50 Race Report: Better With Age?
- What I (Re)Learned About Mountain Running: 7 Tips for High-Altitude Training & Racing
- Stupid Me: A Wasatch 100 Mile Race Report
- How to Plan and Run a Successful First-Time 100-Mile Ultra
- My Wild Week at the Grand to Grand Ultra Part 1 (and Part 2 and Part 3)
- 6 Essential Elements for Running Your Best Half or Full Marathon
Grand to Grand Ultra and Training for Stage Races
I’m a two-time top finisher of the Grand to Grand Ultra, a 170-mile, self-supported stage race that takes place in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah in late September. I also will compete in the Mauna to Mauna Ultra stage race in May 2017. I have written many blog posts about training for and completing the event, which can be accessed in this category; and I also wrote articles for Trail Runner magazine, including: “Stage Fright” about my 2012 race, and “Reality Check” about my 2014 experience.
Who Am I?
Here are a few posts that are particularly personal and reveal more about my background:
- 5 Things I Accomplished or Improved in 2016 In Spite of Myself
- I Run Because of Them
- An Ode to Telluride, Family Ghosts and the Hardrock Spirit
- An Ultra That Became A Midlife Crossroads and Catharsis (my 2014 Miwok 100K race report)
- Fateful Steps in 1995, about who I was and what was going on when I started running.
- Comfort Running, about running through the loss of my dad.
- Marriage, the Ultimate Long Run: Reflections on the ups and downs of my marriage on our 20th anniversary.
- Re-Entry: A Whole New Family Journey, about how our family re-adjusted to normal life after our year-long, round-the-world journey.
I also like to spotlight other runners. Check out these profiles of inspiring, unusual characters:
- Stephanie Case in South Sudan
- In Awe of Ann Trason
- What’s Behind the Smile and Stamina of 71-Year-Old Ultrarunner Eldrith Gosney
- Some of the Amazing Characters at the Grand to Grand Ultra
- Q&A With Rickey Gates on Trail Running, Traveling and Living the Dream
- Running Stupid’s Ken Michal: How to Be Happy On the Trail, All Day, No Matter What
- How Monica Scholz Ran 100-Milers Around North America To Break Her Own Record
The Runner’s Trip is all about exploring new places and pushing limits. Here are a few typical posts from the archives about running in certain destinations:
- Fjordland, New Zealand
- Costa Rica
- Grand Canyon (rafting the Colorado River)
- Mammoth Lakes, California
- Acadia National Park, Maine
- Ashland, Oregon
- Ojai, California
- Yosemite, California
Travel & Gear Advice
Guides to some of my favorite stuff and travel advice:
- My 2016 Gift Guide for Trail Runners
- The Best Lighting Combo for Nighttime Running
- My 2014 Grand to Grand Ultra Food and Gear List
- How to Jump Off a Cliff and Other Lessons In Life and Travel
- Essential Gear and Precautions That Could Save Your Life
- 5 Steps to Get Out of a Rut and Plan a Dream Trip
Finally, I invite you to read the welcome post to learn how and why I started this blog at the end of 2010.